Friday, April 29, 2016

Navigating the next issues.

Actually posted 5/30/16. Finished the final 3 week round of the Chemotherapy treatments. Hopefully these will do it for the Chemo. We won't really know until we get the results of the latest bone marrow biopsy. The side effects were the same as the last couple of rounds, extreme breathlessness and dizziness. It's especially bad if I get up quickly. Can only walk (shuffle) about 20 feet before having to grab on to something. 

Assuming that this round of Chemo will do the job we started the other preparations.

We started out with an exam to find an appropriate vein in my neck for the placement of a central line. We didn't do that last time and I'm not sure why we need it this time around. Not a fan of the idea.That was Fri 5/20. 

On Monday we did a pulmonary function test to see if my lungs are up for the stress of the transplant. In the afternoon we did another bone marrow biopsy, not the best pain wise but far from the worst.

Tue was heart day, starting with an echocardiogram and an EKG. The Rush cardiologist was upset at excess water weight he thought I was carrying around (he estimated 20+lbs.), I had figured it was weight gain from the steroids in the chemo. One obvious system was rather swollen legs and feet. The Dr. wanted me to loose the weight in the hospital as the medication has a tendency to lower your BP which they wanted monitored.

Decided to do this at a hospital close to home.so it was into Edwards last Wed. under the care of my local cardiologist. At this point the weight loss has been successful (20 lbs.). But the Dr. is worried about one of my heart valves so it's angiogram time tomorrow. A little scared of that. 
Since they enter your blood stream through your crotch, they want things unobstructed. Just got my SPA treatment to ensure that.
The next step will depend on the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment